I did comparatively less crafting in 2016 as compared to 2015. About halfway through, the exercise bug bit me, and I’ve found I really only have time for one serious hobby. I can do more than one hobby half-heartedly, and I can do some reading, but I can’t really engage with both crafting and exercising. Perhaps as the kids get older, that will change. Nevertheless, I did finish a few projects last year.
I started with a baby quilt for a friend’s little girl. This project was based on a Red Pepper Quilts pattern, and I had to learn how to sew curves. That was definitely challenging.
My next project was a throw quilt for my uncle who is battling a recurrence of stage IV colon cancer. He mentioned that chemo made him cold, so I made him a quilt with wool batting but all cotton on the outside. It was quite an undertaking as it was quite large, and each square had to be cut out and individually placed. I bought fabric for the recurring diamonds but otherwise used exclusively scraps.
Next up, I made a couple of fully lined tote bags for L’s preschool teachers.
I also made progress on my Farmer’s Wife quilt. I have between 40 and 50 blocks pieced now; that probably means I’m somewhere between a quarter and a third done with the project. Ah well – I’ll finish it sometime.
I ventured into the world of garment sewing last year as well. I have mixed feelings on it. I was quite pleased with the outcome of my first project, a dress for L:
My second project was a lot more work. I learned a lot making a princess dress. I was frustrated, and had to rip out lots of stitches, and the finished product was far from perfect. Nevertheless, it was overall fun, and I’m sure I’ll do better the next time. The hardest part by far was the gathering. The skirt and the bustles were extremely full and required very tight gathering which was quite hard. My solution in the end was to use 18 weight thread for the gathering. I have heard others recommend yarn. 50 weight thread just broke and broke and broke.
I didn’t sew much else that I can recall, and I had no “finished objects” knit. However, I did start a new knitting project that I’m quite excited about. St. Brigid has been on my bucket list for many years, and I finally decided to take a crack at it. I obviously have a long way to go, but I’m excited about this project. Hopefully I’ll finish it in a year or so.
I’m not sure where sewing will take me in 2017. I’m working on an Aerial Grove quilt from Carolyn Friendlander’s awesome quilt book, Savor Each Stitch. I’d love to do another Friendlander quilt, or maybe another Red Pepper Quilts design. Hopefully I’ll manage at least a couple of quilts this year. I’d like to do some knitting as well. We’ll see where the mood takes me.
I’d also like to try some new type of crafting this year – maybe embroidery, or cross-stitch (which I’ve done before, but not for many years) or perhaps weaving. Weaving would require a loom, which runs around $300 for a decent one. I love wool, and I’m very intrigued by the possibilities of weaving. My inspiration comes from photos from Virtual Yarns.