After taking a break to make a baby quilt for a friend and a second quilt for my uncle, I returned to my somewhat neglected Farmer’s Wife Quilt. I find making these blocks quite enjoyable, if a bit time-consuming. The easiest ones probably take an hour or so, and the harder ones far longer. I am shutting down any perfectionist notions and forging ahead despite imperfections, and I do think that in the context of a large quilt, mismatched points and the like will not be particularly noticeable.
I actually did seven blocks sometime earlier this year that I never blogged about. It’s been so long since I made them, I don’t remember much about them.
#24 Country Path
I like the way the colors worked out on this one – dark and medium brown with subtle purple and pinkish orange.
#25 Cups and Saucers
I think I recall this one being harder than it looked, but again, I’m happy with the outcome and the colors.
#26 Cut Glass Dish
This block is arguably one of the harder blocks in the quilt with a total of 51 pieces, many of them small, and triangles are always more troublesome than rectangles. I’m not thrilled with how it came out, but it’ll do. The photos is appropriately a bit blurry as well.
#27 Darting Birds
I’m not wild about the colors here. I seem to recall having a bit of trouble with this one.
#28 Duck and Ducklings
I always find fussy cutting a huge pain and often don’t manage it well, so I’m pleased that I managed to center the buck in the square and not chop off feet or antlers.
#30 End of Day
A nice mix of purple and peach
That ends the older batch. The most recent batch I did over the last couple of weeks and consists of blocks #31 to #40.
#31 Evening Star
This one was an easy one.
#32 Farmer’s Daughter
Very similar to #31, though with a few more pieces.
#33 Farmer’s Puzzle
The original Farmer’s Puzzle is a swastika with a cross through it. I am blown away by the number of people who make the quilt block as is. I flipped two of the arms, turning it into a bow. I don’t know how much I love the block, but better than a swastika on my quilt.
#35 Flower Basket
I used water to curve a straight rectangular piece into the handle and appliqued it on. I’m not thrilled with how it turned out, as I would have liked it to be more curved, especially at the ends. I forgot that using an iron with lots of steam can make the handle a lot easier.
#36 Flower Garden Path
This was a tough one. The way the paper piecing was done required sewing Y-seams in order to assemble it. I think with adjustments to the paper piecing layout this could be avoided, but it worked out OK in the end.
#37 Flower Pot
This one also required sewing Y-seams on the flower bud. I think it’s a pretty block.
This block took forever, with a total of about 65 pieces. It wasn’t really hard, just long.
#39 Friendship Block
A pretty and easy block and a nice break after the one before it.
#40 Friendship Block
Another easy block, and I like the colors.
That’s 40 blocks down and about 70 to go. I’ve been working on this about 5 months now, off and on. It’s definitely not a quick project, especially considering adding sashing to these blocks and assembling the quilt will be a ton of work, and probably a bit monotonous. I’m hoping to make the blocks into a kind-sized quilt for either our bedroom or our guest room, probably the latter, so it doesn’t suffer as much wear but is primarily decorative.
I’m taking a break now to sew a little dress for L, and then I’ll come back and do another ten blocks.