Saoirse came down with a cold a couple of days ago, so it was really only a matter of time before I got sick as well. We are still co-sleeping, and, being two, she really drools and breathes all over me from morning ’til night. Anyway, I woke up feeling ill at 4:30 this morning, mostly with a nasty sore throat, which is generally the first sign of sickness for me. The timing really could not be worse for my marathon. Also, because I’m traveling, it’s not like I can leave it until the last minute to decide what to do. It also seems very unlucky. I have had one cold (or illness of any kind, except the vaccine reaction) since last March!
My backup plan if anything happened with CIM was to run Houston. I’m not thrilled with this backup, mostly because of the distance and time change. But it’s an option. However, I looked on their website today, and YESTERDAY was the deadline to apply to be in the first corral, which is targeted at runners who hope to finish under 4 hours. (I meet the half marathon qualifier with several minutes to spare.) This is problematic, because who knows where I’d end up if I’m seeded randomly, and furthermore, I was really looking forward to running with a pace group. Any sub-4 pace groups would start in the first corral. Also, it’s kind of hot in Houston even in January.
There aren’t a ton of other options at this time of year. And with the hysterical response to the new variant, it wouldn’t surprise me if they start canceling races soon.
I’ve always been kind of unenthusiastic about the marathon, but it’s a bucket list thing for me. I am going to run one in my lifetime, damn it. And I’d like to do it this weekend. But I just don’t know if it’s going to be possible. I’d say it’s 50/50 at best.