I was inspired to make this quilt by a project from Blue Elephant Stitches, always a go-to source for inspiration. I was sick with morning sickness and looking for something easy – and I wanted to make something for the baby. She calls her quilt the “High Five Quilt,” and the source pattern is in a book called Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Nyberg and Cheryl Atkinson. I didn’t end up following the pattern, however, just eyeballed it. I cut squares of approximately 2.5 inches, then did one layer of a log cabin. I didn’t measure precisely, and I often made the center squares a bit bigger if convenient to showcase whatever was in them. After the block was done, I used a 6.5″ square ruler (which I bought for this project) to conveniently trim them to size.
I honestly can barely begin to say what the fabrics are. I made the entire quilt from stash, which I’m rather proud of, including the binding and backing. There’s a fair amount of Sarah Jane fabrics in there, as well as a lot of Heather Ross “Tiger Lily.” I think there’s some Lotta Jansdottir fabric. The binding is a Carolyb Friedlander fabric from her Euclid line, and I used a few other Carolyn Friedlander fabrics throughout, especially her greens. Beyond that, it’s hard to say. I’ve got at least two swan fabrics in there, because I love swans, and some stripes. There’s some ballerina fabric I bought for Isla. I’m not sure what else.
I had enough wool batting on hand to finish the project, so wool it was. I get my wool batting from Quilter’s Dream. I always like wool batting for a baby quilt, because I figure quilts are as much for sitting on as for covering yourself with, and wool makes them nice and soft and puffy. And as a bonus, they’re nice and warm for covering yourself with.
Piecing, quilting, and hand-sewing the binding was done with Aurifil Mako 50 Wt in White (2024).
I was originally planning to quilt this on a 2-inch grid. However, as I noted above, I didn’t measure precisely, which meant the quilting lines were just a little off. Not cool. It looked messy and like a mistake. I ended up just stitching in the ditch at 6″ intervals. I contemplated quilting the whole thing with wavy lines, and maybe I should have. I did a lot of fussy cutting in this quilt, and I didn’t want to quilt over any of the fussy cut centers. It’s OK.
I used a 50/50 linen/cotton blend from Carolyn Friendlander’s Euclid line for the binding. I actually found this a bit hard to work with at the corners, especially in combination with the thick wool batting. I was lazy and didn’t use a walking foot for the binding, which I think was a mistake. My corners were not up to my usual standard.
I made much of this quilt while feeling like I was going to puke. I’m not thrilled with the result, but I don’t hate it. I think i could give it to someone in good conscience. Something about the in-your-face combination of pink / blue / green fabrics just rubs me the wrong way. However, I do love the fussy cutting that I did, and I think a little kid would definitely appreciate all the fussy cut pictures in the middle of the squares.
I updated the “quilting” page on this blog today, which had been very out-of-date, and it made me realize how much I was quilting in 2015 and 2016, and how little I quilted in 2017 and 2018. In 2017 and 2018, I started running a lot and working a lot, and quilting got put a bit by the wayside. I did do a lot of farmer’s wife blocks, but I still haven’t finished that quilt. It’s nice to finish a quilt for the first time in a long time. I did actually do a whole-cloth quilt recently, but I stupidly forgot to photograph it! Finishing these two simple quilts is making me enthusiastic to do more quilting over the next three months.