I finished sewing the binding onto Briony’s quilt yesterday and washed it this morning. I read somewhere that a quilt always looks better after washing, and in this case, I concur. It also brought out that wonderful wooly smell.
My spirals look wonky up close, but fine from a distance. Overall, I like the effect.
I pieced together the backing using leftover fabric.
The quilt is 36 x 54″, perfect crib size for Briony.
For my records, I used the following fabrics, all purchased on fabric.com:
Bali Batiks Handpaint Daisies Macaroon
Timeless Treasures Tonga Batik Capri Quatrefoil Turquoise
Bali Batiks Handpaints Floral Burst Seamist
Artisan Batiks Elementals Tonal Dots Ash
106″ Wide Batavian Batiks Quilt Backing Raindrops Aqua Blue
Indian Batik Cascades Dots Blue/Aqua/Pink
Timeless Treasures Tonga Batik Capri Tiffany Glass Marine
Artisan Batiks Color Source 4 Bubbles Mist
Tonga Batiks Cabana Abstract Daisy Teal
Timeless Treasures Tonga Batik Hawaii Curls Scuba
Indian Batik Feather Stripe Blue
Bali Batiks Handpaints Burlap Seaside
Bali Batiks Handpaint Beaded Curtain Aquarius
For piecing, I used Radiant Threads 40-weight thread. For quilting, I used Aurifil Mako 28-weight for the top thread and Aurifil Mako 50-weight for the bobbin thread in 5006, Light Turquoise. I used my closed-toe darning foot. To sew on the binding, I used Aurufil Mako 50-weight in white. I hand-sewed the binding to the back of the quilt with Aurufil 28-weight in light turqoise.
For batting, I used Quilter’s Dream 100% wool, which I absolutely loved. It has beautiful drape, and is light and fluffy and warm. Wonderful! The only downside was that the high loft made it a bit hard to work with. I’ll definitely use it again.
Briony enjoying her quilt: